Knee pain caused by driving? — medlly

Knee pain caused by driving?

I drive 15 km to work each day in peak rush hour traffic. Over a period of time I have started experiencing pain in my left knee. Earlier I thought this is probably the start of arthritis as my mom has suffered from severe arthritis all her life and may be I have inherited the disease. Despite my doubt I kept postponing visiting the Dr to get it checked. Around that time I took a few days vacation and ended up in a place where I did absolutely no driving. After 4-5 days of this vacation the pain in my left knee had almost disappeared. It started after about a week of going to the office. This got me thinking that probably the constant pressing of the clutch is the reason for my knee pain. I started making minor adjustments in my driving style to make sure that I avoid pushing the clutch when not needed like on traffic signals, cruising etc.

This lead to a reduction in knee pain but it did not go away completely.

Some of the things that I have tried to control this over the past few months:

Walking for about 2 km a day - feel a slight pain in the first 10 minutes, then it goes away. During the day also I feel far lesser pain if I have done the morning walk

Stretching my leg muscles in office now and then. I think it helps to keep the pain in check, not too sure about it though

Swimming feels good for the knee as I guess the body gets the exercise without exerting too much pressure on the knee. This got me thinking that probably strengthening the other muscles of the leg might help to bring down the knee pain. Have not done anything to do that till now. Let me know if there is some low impact exercise for the leg

As I said I’m still trying out different things to bring it under control, let me know if you have shared something similar and what all worked in your case.

Comments

• My observations are not exactly knee pain, but lower-back pain. And I have concluded it as, a fact, that as we age, we need to take care of our body.

So weekly one day complete rest,
    5 to 6 times a week daily brisk walk for 30mins
    And few exercises and mediatation is mandatory to get the best out of our body.

These I am doing regularly and it has helped me a lot.

Other things which I am going to include soon or rather increase the frequency and make it more regular are:-
    Massage for an hour, every alternate week. I intend to get this regularised in next quarter.

And then have weekly one long meditation (2-3hrs) as a target in next quarter.

Hope you find this useful.
  • The Most Common Reasons For Knee Pain While Driving is
    Gas Pedal Knee
    The knee is one of the active body parts when you’re driving. Without the knee, you won’t be able to step on the gas pedal of vehicles.

The motion (foot on pedal) is repetitive, especially when traffic is heavy. Because of the repeated rotation of the lateral tibia of the leg when stepping on the gas pedal, injury and damageare inflicted to the right knee’s cartilage and muscles.

Chondromalacia Patellae or Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
    Also known as Runner’s Knee, this syndrome can become exacerbated when driving. The causes vary from one person to another, and it usually involves young people.

This condition is characterized by the injury or damage of the protective sheath of the cartilage below the kneecaps.
  • @genesis even I am suffering from this. Can you please share any exercise or any other home remedy to get rid of this pain.