My fathers bypass surgery and post surgery follow-up experience at Medanta Medicity Gurgaon — medlly

My fathers bypass surgery and post surgery follow-up experience at Medanta Medicity Gurgaon

My father, 65 year old underwent bypass surgery at Medanta Medicity Gurgaon under the care of a famous doctor in cardiology department. On the day of the surgery my father got admitted early in the morning.

Hospital team took blood samples for some tests the same day and after that we were just waiting for 24 hours. When nothing progressed on the treatment front I inquired and got to know from a financial consultant that surgery cannot happen untill atleast 80% of the treatment cost is deposited.

Post Surgery we had regular follow-up done as prescribed (1 week, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year). In these followups, we used to get the billing done for the senior doctor but could never meet him. Team of junior doctors used to do checkup. During my third visit by chance I saw the senior doctor and caught hold of him. I told him that we always wanted to speak to him but never got the chance. The senior doctor did not agree to this and claimed that he makes sure to see all his patients himself. We then showed him past prescriptions singed by junior doctor to prove our point.

Finally the senior doctor gave us time and reviewed all our past prescriptions. He cancelled one of the test package (which cost approximately 6 to 6.5K) recommended by junior doctor and told us that this test is required annually. Also, we got to know that this test included the consultation fee as well. As a practice we were paying consulation fee first and then booking this test thus paying for the consultation fee twice. We reported this incident as well to the senior doctor and he made sure that our money was refunded.

Comments

• Dear Alok,

My uncle needs to go through bypass surgery. Medanta has good reviews. Can you please tell how much it costed you for your father's bypass surgery? I understand that it varies from case to case basis but will give me some idea. Thanks a lot.

Thanks and regards,
    Vaibhav
  • @vaibhavjain The cost was around 2.4 lakhs. It got covered through my corporate insurance. Hope this information helps.
  • Hey Alok - Thanks for the story....my father also needs to go for bypass surgery.....not sure how much it will cost but could you please tell me how much is the cost difference between Medanta and normal hospital
  • @gamit I am sharing a link below for Max Patparganj Bypass surgery cost ( 1.7 to 2. 30 lakh approx) . You can check details on this link

http://medlly.com/discussion/144/bypass-surgery-experince-at-max-patparganj-and-cost

If you have short listed any specific hospital/s then you may ask the question separately like above shared link about bypass surgery experience and cost in that particular hospital.

Let me know if you need any help here.

• Hi Gamit,
    I am not aware of the cost of other hospitals. However, I am sure Medanta costs are pretty high when compared to others.
  • Hi Alok,
    My father has been advised bypass and we will be scheduling the same very soon. Medanta ha given us an estimate of 2.6 lakhs for a double sharing room package.
    During your fathers surgery did you have to pay any additional besides the package estimate costs? If yes, how much were those?
  • @Vikalp,

Seems like operation costs have been increased as 2.6 lakhs looks on higher side for a twin sharing room to me.

Additional cost should be at max 10,000. Not more than that.
  • For how long do the patient need to stay in hospital ? And is this 2.5 lakh cost include the stay also ?

• edited June 2014
    @bansalrohit90‌
    My father had a total stay of 8 days in the hospital. 2 days were before the operation and 6 days after. But as I have said in my post above, there was little that happened in terms of tests etc in the first 2 days.
    2.5 lakh was the total cost inclusive of the stay, but this was the cost when I paid through corporate medical insurance. The cost varies if you pay without insurance.
    Hope this helps.
    Let me know if you need any further information.
  • Hi Alok, what is the Dr name of Cardiology Department who had done the treatment. Do you know who is the good doctor for Angioplasty.
  • @Akash Sagar We consulted Dr Naresh Trehan and the operation was supposedly done by him only.

• What would be the cost of bypass surgery at Medanta Gurgaon, all inclusive?

• My father has 85-90% blockage in three arteries. He has also Diabetes. Doctor suggested us for bypass surgery. My father is so weak in health. Can we go for bypass surgery? We are afraid of risks associated with bypass surgery.
  • @KavitaT I'm sure you would have consulted multiple Dr for their opinion and would have got mixed response. I would suggest to first find a credible Dr for bypass and then go with his opinion. Since he is the person who will be actually doing the operation, his confidence level with your father's condition should be of only importance.
  • My sister in law has been advised to go for CABG. She is 65 years old and a sugar patient. Also, how much is the cost in Medanta and please also tell me about the risk factor
  • My mother is 70 years old, she is under pace maker implantation, sugar, hypothyroidism, hypertension and blood pressure since 1996. Pacemaker has been replaced after discharge in the year 2008. Now as per a Sr. cardiologist she will require valve replacement or repairing. Please suggest me is valve replacement or repairing possible in this old age?

• @Tapan Your doubt is genuine about your mother's old age but only a doctor can tell if she should go for this kind of surgery. I would suggest you to take atleast 2 -3 more opinion to go for any kind of decision.Best of luck.
  • no...tests fees & dctor fees both has to be paid seperately

My father, 65 year old underwent bypass surgery at Medanta Medicity Gurgaon under the care of a famous doctor in cardiology department. On the day of the surgery my father got admitted early in the morning.

Hospital team took blood samples for some tests the same day and after that we were just waiting for 24 hours. When nothing progressed on the treatment front I inquired and got to know from a financial consultant that surgery cannot happen untill atleast 80% of the treatment cost is deposited.

Post Surgery we had regular follow-up done as prescribed (1 week, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year). In these followups, we used to get the billing done for the senior doctor but could never meet him. Team of junior doctors used to do checkup. During my third visit by chance I saw the senior doctor and caught hold of him. I told him that we always wanted to speak to him but never got the chance. The senior doctor did not agree to this and claimed that he makes sure to see all his patients himself. We then showed him past prescriptions singed by junior doctor to prove our point.

Finally the senior doctor gave us time and reviewed all our past prescriptions. He cancelled one of the test package (which cost approximately 6 to 6.5K) recommended by junior doctor and told us that this test is required annually. Also, we got to know that this test included the consultation fee as well. As a practice we were paying consulation fee first and then booking this test thus paying for the consultation fee twice. We reported this incident as well to the senior doctor and he made sure that our money was refunded.

• Manisha said:

@Tapan Your doubt is genuine about your mother's old age but only a doctor can tell if she should go for this kind of surgery. I would suggest you to take atleast 2 -3 more opinion to go for any kind of decision.Best of luck.

agree with manisha....
    we can only guide our personal experiences but doctor will give the best valuable suggestions
  • We are based out of Dehradun, pl suggest a good Dr and cost of bypass surgery in Delhi/NCR.

• Hello all of you.,
    My father is also admitted in medanta hospital for bypass surgery. He was refered in by a popular hospital in varansi(UP)., but the problem is that, our medanta doctors has been doing continousally next & next & next opreation day by day. We all family members have asked the doctors ( sir when the bypass surgery is completed.?) & doctors told me this day, that day, monday, saturday, but no any result given by the doctors. He added only charges, his wants only money but no faithfull result.
    Shocked......
    Tonight suddenly my father has a critical position, 2 times blood pipe was remove by hand mistakely & blood is flowing continousally, but no doctors & nurse wer present there in genral ward.
    Tonight we went, nurse went, to a senior doctor but no senior doctors were there.
    All is depending on junior doctors,
    When my father has smthing wrong sudenlly, whose take the responsblity 4 this.,
    My father is admitted about 15 day back, but no any benifitial result..
    He is sufferinng day by day, & hospital want only money and not caring for our patient..
    REQUEST...
    Tell me frnds, what should we do.,??
  • Please suggest what is the cost of bypass surgery for one blockage in medanta
  • @vaibhavjain @gamit @Vkalp @bansalrohit90 @Akash Sagar @madhukar @KavitaT @Tapan @paritosh @shubham @saumya

Hi all...we are planning for a bypass surgery at Medanta so I am very keen to hear more and more experience with Medanta. As we are coming to Delhi just for the operation so just wanted to be sure of our choice. so requesting you all to please share your experience if your paitent had undergone the process and how is paitent doing now . how much was the overall cost and is there any hidden cost.

please help. looking for all your support.

thanks a lot. please share your experience.